December 29, 2009

Christmas 2009

On Wednesday evening we went and saw Princess and the Frog.  Overall, it's a good movie.  Liked the story but could have done without the voodo, magic, shadow guy throughout.  The kids were not scared, they knew it was pretend but us knowing it's significance gave that aspect of the movie two thumbs down.

Thursday evening was spent with family.  Our Christmas Eves are pretty low key.  The gang comes over here for a quick dinner and then we head to my parents and sisters church for their Christmas Eve service.  Then it's home to open one gift.  It's always jammies although the kids act surprised each year they open them. 



Usually the kids are the only ones to get new jammies, but I love how my sister gets the whole family new jammies so this year we started that tradition too.

It was then time to set out cookies for Santa and reindeer food for the reindeer


It wasn't even 7:30 (their normal bedtime) and Maddy was saying "I think we better go to bed...isn't it time to go to bed yet??"  They fell asleep in the blink of an eye that night and were up bright and early (Maddy 7:30, Bryson 8:00)



All because of this of course!

Maddy spotted her "American Girl" first and opened that. 


That smile has not yet come off her face and that doll (she renamed her Emily) has not left her side.  All day long Emily sat right next to Maddy.  And, actually it has been that way since Christmas.

Maddy is well aware of the fact that it's a Target form of the doll.  She does not care.  And really the only complaint I have is the hair.  The Target version of the doll has typical doll hair (like a Cabbage patch doll) and the real American Girl dolls have wig hair.  Not enough of a complaint to fork out $80 to have the real deal but it is kind of annoying.

Bryson was pretty funny when opening his presents.  He'd take just enough wrapping paper off to see what was underneath and then move on to the next.  It didn't take him long to find his batcave.  All the wrapping paper came off of this one!


Both Jeff and Bryson have had fun playing with that.

We took the morning slow, playing with our new toys (I got a Slice.  Thanks babe! :D) and then headed over to my parents house for another round of gift opening.

(notice Emily to Maddy's right...waiting to open gifts with her :D)

My aunt sent the kids giftcards to Toys-r-Us and McDonalds so they can have a special day of shopping and lunch out.  Maddy liked this idea.

I love to see reactions like this when the open gifts! 

Not only did my parents once again spoil the kids, they also once again spoiled Jeff and I.  Thanks so much Mom and Dad for all the generous gifts!  And thanks to all who spoiled the kids as well! 


The rest of the day we enjoyed a delicious Christmas dinner (thanks mom...and dad), desserts (thanks Kelly!) playing games and having balloon sword fights (thanks Beth!) .  It was a wonderful day celebrating our Saviour's birth.

This week started out a bit rough for all.  Jeff has been having a terrible week at work and to top it off hasn't felt well.  Maddy got pink eye yesterday...but we are still trying to enjoy these last few days of Christmas break and are looking forward to the SNOW forcasted for tomorrow!

 
(excuse any spelling errors.  i don't see a spellcheck button over here at blogger)

10 comments:

Kelly said...

The spellcheck is the ABC button.

I'm glad you had a good Christmas! How could you not? You spend most of it with me! And I'm glad you are surviving Maddy getting that doll. :)

Andrea said...

I know what a spell check button looks like! There isn't one in my editor.

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

:D Very fun recap! It sounds like you guys had a lovely Christmas ... wishing you happier days to ring in the new year!

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Hey Andrea! Just leaving a comment to let you know I made it over to your new blog! :) Looks like you guys had a great Christmas!

Amanda said...

Great recap, looks like a nice Christmas! Glad Maddy was a good girl this year and got her doll. Abigail keeps saying, "wow, I still got my gift from Santa and I wasn't that good." :P
Happy Snow Day!!

Cassie said...

Hey Andrea! I love all of the pics of Maddy "Emily"..so sweet! We saw The Princess and The Frog and felt the same way about it. The storyline is great (Stay true to your goals and dreams), but my girls were scared of the shadow poeple. I agree with the 2 thumbs down!! Bummer! Happy New Year...welcome to Blogspot! (I saw that as if I acutally still blog! HA)

Alisha Beverly said...

What a great documentation of your Christmas adventures! I got an American Girl doll when I was little, Kirsten. Still have it. Maddy will love hers for years to come, but I'm sure you already knew that :)

Stac said...

You all are such a sweet family! It's a blessing to know and love you all! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Great Christmas recap. Looks like you had a very special and memorable day. The pictures say it all. And Maddy and her doll together is just too cute. That was the first thing she told me about yesterday. Made me smile!

Jen said...

What a great recap of your Christmas! Those pictures of Maddy with her doll are priceless. Happy New Year to you guys!