March 10, 2010

Out With the Old, In With the New **edited**

Maddy was given a blanket before she was born. Made by the mother of a friend I used to work with at St. Luke's. From birth, Maddy was attached to this blanket. Fast forward almost 7 years...
...and you can see the blanket has been on a few journeys. When Bryson was born, the same lady knitted him a blanket. The same blanket. Just new and soft. Despite every effort, Maddy would not trade hers in (Bryson didn't attach to it like Maddy did. He was given a blue airplane blanket that immediately became his favorite). I tried a few years later to get Maddy to switch blankets. Still no. She liked her blanket. Well, it has obviously gotten to the point where a new one was needed. All those loose strings made me nervous with her at night. At Christmastime, I started in on knitting her a new one. It was taking forever. So the thought of crocheting one popped into my head. Only problem, I did not know how to crochet. So, with a little help from a "friendly man" on YouTube, I learned how to crochet a double stitch crochet and a few weeks later...
...viola! A new blanket for Maddy to snuggle with at night. Yes, quite rough around the edges but that just gives it personality, right?! The process came with a lot of trial and error. You should see my practice pieces. But, I have discovered I love to crochet! Today, I learned how to make these
It's a flower in case you couldn't tell :) How fun would those be to attach to a headband or use as an embellishment on a scrapbook page?!
I have moved on to blanket #2. Bryson wanted one too. Although he's made it quite clear that his blue airplane blanket is still going to be his favorite blanket.
**Maddy went to bed tonight so excited to sleep with her new blanket. I tucked her in and within a few mintues I hear a little voice calling "mommy, mommy..." I go into her room and she quietly says "I kinda wish I could sleep with my old blankie too". Seriously?!?! Are we ever going to be able to pack that thing away in a keepsakes box?**

11 comments:

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

That is so awesome ... I'm glad that you didn't give up all together, but found a different method that works for you! Yea!

Can't wait to see what else you create!

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Good for you Andrea!! I would love to crochet - I've tried & it did not take... :)

I could tell it was a flower - so cute! You should definitely make more of those!

Kelly said...

I am very impressed! Good job! It's on my 2010 to do list so we can sit and crochet together soon. :)

Melissa said...

That looks great! Something else I should have my mom teach me along with sewing....someday! Looks fun!

Dad said...

That's #8 on my bucket list.

Kimberly said...

I'm glad I'm not the only mom who has kids attached to their blankies. :) Allie had loved hers to shreds by the time she was about three. Way to go on the crochet hobby!

Jen said...

oh my goodness! that blanket looks like austin's old blankie. it was disgusting. terry finally took it apart and re-crocheted it with the old yarn. i love the colors of the new one.
and p.s. if she's anything like austin she will never give up her old one.

Kimberly said...

Good job Annie!

amanda said...

Great job Andrea! I love the colors.
Did we really talk that long the other day? I was too scared to check when we hung up. ;o)

chrisanna said...

Wow, her blanket makes me laugh. She has definitely gotten good use out of it. And I am very impressed with your new found talent. Great job! I love the colors and the flower is super cute!

Bethany said...

I keep meaning to tell you how impressed I am! You did a great job! Have you heard of Ravelry? If not, check it out. You'll spend hours browsing and find a million projects you want to do, but the best part are all the free patterns!