March 25, 2010

Watching Grass Grow

Doesn't that sound like the perfect project for this "stuck in the house" family? We thought so when Andrea posted about it on facebook the other day. So I gathered the supplies and we began the journey today.
The kids have checked on them a gazillion times today. They are going to be beyond thrilled when they see the grass start to grow. I purposefully got clear little pots for them so they could see the roots. (I realize those are really full and replanted them when the kids weren't around. Shhhh... they would freak if they knew I touched them because I told them how important it was to only look at them and not touch them). I also planted some in 3 rectangular tins to put some on the kitchen table. We will see how they all turn out!

Bryson is doing pretty well in the recovery process. He has hasn't been down and out like Maddy was but you can tell when he has been up too much. After a few days of eating absolutely nothing, he is finally back to eating some. Not a ton but enough so that we are able to give him the prescription strength pain meds. His pain is under control but still there. He can't go much past 3 hours without it. Hopefully within the next few days we will be able to stretch it to more like 4 hours. He has been sleeping just fine too which is good for this momma who likes sleep. I wasn't sure if after getting his tonsils out he wouldn't sleep in anymore (because he is getting a better nights sleep) but both kids have been sleeping in until 9:30-10:00. I have been blessed, yes!

We've been playing lots of board games, coloring, painting, a little video game time (I am surprised he doesn't want this all day) and what we are calling "quiet play". No running around and stuff but a "quiet play" him and Maddy have been playing a lot is store. He is a cashier and just sits so that is good :) I am SO thankful for some awesome deals on games I found at Goodwill. We got Don't Break the Ice (which they love) for $1. Cranium Hullabaloo for $1.50 and another dog board game for a buck. All in great, working shape!

Thanks again to the The Mungers, Kim and the girls, The Harringtons and Cindy Rose for your visits and treats for Bryson this week! Human contact from the outside world has done us all good!

7 comments:

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Oh gosh ... what a not fun way to spend the week. I'm glad you're making the most of it and that Bryson seems to be doing well with the recovery process.

Our grass is officially into Day 2 and I can see the little sprouts of root coming from the wheat kernels.

Happy Weekend! Can't wait to see the 'grass growing report' on Monday ;).

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Yae for a fun stay at home project!

So sorry you're all stuck at home. :( Poor Bryson. I hope he recovers very quickly!!

Keep us posted on your grass progress. :)

Dionna said...

I should get some wheat grass. I bought my mom some a year or two ago but never got any for myself.

Cool clear pots by the way. I've never seen the clear ones before.

Kelly said...

That'll be fun for the kids...watching grass grow. What a lively bunch you are. :) Just kidding, just kidding. It'll be cool for them!
I'm glad he's laying low! I hope his scheduled quiet playdate today helps some. :)

Melissa said...

Glad the days are going by for you and happy to hear Bryson is doing good. We played A LOT of video games when my boys were down so you are doing good, I also kept them on their meds for quite awhile, Lukes pain got worse when the scabs started coming off. Whose kids sleep into 9:30 or 10:00 we are onto our mid morning snack by then!

amanda said...

Okay, it's April 1st and I'm just now getting to your blog. Hope B is still doing well. I'm sure you've got some serious grass by now.

And just to forewarn you ... I'm calling you tomorrow. ;o)

Bethany said...

I'm so glad to hear Bryson is on the mend... I'd take sassy kiddos before sick kiddos any day.