August 11, 2010

First Day of Second Grade

We won't talk about how I can't believe it's even possible that my little girl had her first day of 2nd grade today.  2nd grade?! 
Maddy was quite nervous to go back to school today.  You all remember that feeling?  I was nervous today too but didn't let her in on that little secret.  She had pretty good reason to be nervous.  She knew only one girl in her class and on top of that, she had a substitute today and will have her again tomorrow.  Her teacher had/has meetings that she had/has to be at.  I felt bad for her (her teacher) because after talking with her at Meet the Teacher Night on Monday, you could tell she was truly disappointed that she had those meetings.  It was really a blessing though to find out that her sub was one of the best around.  Really put Maddy at ease and she ended up having a fantastic day.  She was able to find 2 of her best little buddies from last year (Emily and Connor) at recess and at lunch.  She told me she didn't talk much in class but did talk to a few new people...during "ice breaker" activities.  Ha!  While it is a little sad that she doesn't know but one girl in her class, I think it's a great opportunity for her to be forced to meet new people and get to know them.  It will be good for her. 
This picture below is for you dad.    
I knew you'd appreciate that look on her face :)  She did not want me to take a picture of her standing in line outside her classroom.  So, she stood a good 6ft. away from the girl in front of her and when she saw me go to take a picture, she turned around in line and faced the other way!  That little stinker!  Totally a Maddy move though so it makes me laugh!   And can you believe she had to have a sweater on?!  I liked it though because it made it feel like fall and like it really was time to go back to school.  Not super hot like it usually is and you just want to keep them home and let them swim all day. 
I love the little details of the day.  A new dress, new backpack (her one from last year had a hole in it) and my favorite this year was her lunch bag.  Isn't it so cute?!  We went through 2 last year!  And it wasn't like we bought cheap ones.  They were decently quality ones from Target.  Anyways, I will do what I thankfully did last year and pick another one up when they are 75% off at the end of the season and tuck it away just in case this cute little thing gets well loved like last years bags. 
And, a tradition we began last year-fresh, hot out of the oven cookies waiting for her when she got home this afternoon
Her nerves and upset stomach she woke up with this morning had turned into smiles and excitement by the time she got home this afternoon.  She is very excited for the new year.
Although I wish she could stay little and in my constant care at all times, I know she is growing up and it is exciting to see her do it. We join along with her in excitement to see what the Lord has in store for her this year. 
Oh and one exciting thing happening in just 13 days (but who is really counting?!)-Bracie gets taken out!!!!  I really wish we could have talked the dentist into taking it out last week but we couldn't.  We'd much rather have that thing in the appropriate amount of time and be annoyed that she had to have it in for first day of school pictures than to have him take it out early and have it mess up all the pretty work it has done.  Still though, while these 5 months have really gone by quick, we are ready to part ways (ha! get it??  think about it for a minute....) with Bracie. 

8 comments:

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

She looked adorable today :). So funny the difference between a boy (no muss, no fuss) and a girl. It's fun for me to see the 'other' way of life :).

We went through a backpack last year too ... in Kindergarten, so I'm sure we would have gone through 2 if it was all day. This year I decided to spend a little more (it turned out to only be about $7-$8 more) than last year and get an L.L. Bean backpack. They are much loved and reviewed at lasting for years and years. We'll see at the end of this year ... but if it does last, it will be the best $23 we spent.

Can't wait to see her smile (as if we'll get to see it, LOL) without bracie. It makes me hurt every time she talks, even though I know she isn't in pain.

Happy Wednesday ... you made it!

Kelly said...

First - you're a dork.

Second - she was so cute today! I'm happy she chose the brown dress. :)

Third - I love the picture of her turned away from you! I love embarrassing her at school! I always yell hi to her whenever I see her. I think she secretly loves it. :)

amanda said...

Pal - you crack me up!

So glad Maddy had a great first day! That is the dress I bought Abigail, I was wondering yesterday if M was still going to wear it for her first day outfit, crazy weather. She looks so beautiful!

We don't get back to school night this year. The kids meet their teacher and bring in supplies on the first day, bummer huh.

I think Abigail is going to use her backpack from last year ... although seeing everyone's new one makes we want to go out and buy her one. But really, her one from K and 1st grade have held up. At least I have a couple more weeks to decide. :P

Dionna said...

I remember getting upset stomachs on the first day of school as a kid too. Sweet thing!

Dionna said...

I remember getting upset stomachs on the first day of school as a kid too. She's so precious.

Melissa said...

Sounds like it all went good. She looks cute all dressed up and ready for school!

Jen said...

i can't believe 2nd grade is already here!

Kimberly said...

She looks so pretty! And you are such a good mom. :) I hope she makes lots of friends in her new class!