August 27, 2010

Well Why Not?

It's has been 9 months after all.  9 months since his last injury.  That's over twice as long as we had been going. 

Last night my mom, as usual,  generously volunteered to watch all the kids so we could go to back to school night.  Jeff, Kim and I had just left and Mike and Kelly were heading out (they had to drive separate because they had to go to both sessions because they have 2 kids in classes).  The kids were in Mike and Kelly's backyard playing on the swing set.  Bryson somehow fell from the little bridge that connects one level of the swing set to the next (how he got from the bridge to the ground is told a little differently by each kid you ask).   My mom immediately iced and elevated it and kept it that way until we got back (she didn't suspect it was broken or she would have called us to come back immediately).   He seemed fine.  Back to school night is just a short 1/2 hour session with the teacher to see how things are run in the classroom and what to expect out of the year.  So, we weren't gone all that long.  When we got back he was doing alright.  Just sitting on the couch with my mom.  I have xrayed many broken arms though so as soon as I lifted the ice pack off and saw it I had a good feeling it was more than just sprained.  So up to the ER we headed. 

After a few xrays, the word became official.  It was broken.  Snapped in two spots.  Both the radius and ulna suffered displaced fractures down by his wrist.   Next came the decision on how to re-set the arm.  And, this is when the night got ugly.  By now, we have been in the ER for a few hours.  It's late.  Way past his bedtime.  He is exhausted.  But, he was in good spirits, calm and being so good.   So, we (the ER doc and I) decided that he would do ok with option #1 and that was numbing the bone.   The doc said he has had great success with it everytime he's used that method in the past.  He's going to have to change his story now.  A needle is put right into the fracture and the numbing medicine goes straight to the bone. I figured once the initial poke was done and the medicine started going in that he'd be fine.  And, I think that is the way it's supposed to work but it didn't.  And, after a few attempts to get it completely numb it just wasn't working.  Bryson was in so much pain it was horrible.  So, the doc stopped and said we needed to go to option #2.  Sedation.  A conscious sedation so he'd still feel a little pain but the setting itself is a super quick procedure.  So another 45 mins go by.  Bryson is even more exhausted, just wanting to go home but still being so good.  Crying of course but he never budged and just let them do their job.  Even if it meant more needle to start an IV.  The IV went in quick and with no problems which was good because by this point I am crying too.   They gradually gave him the sedation and just as he drifted off the doc quickly set it.  Bryson then was out for about 1/2 hour and while he was sleeping they splinted his arm.  The ER by this point is getting busy so it took us another hour or so after him waking up to get out of there.  And, that put us getting home at 11:45 last night.  A delightful 4 hours in the ER. 

He didn't sleep all that great last night.  I had him sleep with me and his just tossed and turned all night.  Moaning with each turn.  He never did wake up enough to need more pain meds though.  Both of us woke up a little on the emotional side but thanks to a wonderful sister of mine, our morning was brightened.  Kelly ran to the store for me to get some Motrin.  I only had Tylenol and they told us that Motrin was going to work best for the pain and swelling.  They did give us a prescription of the child version of Vicadin but we are not going to use it if we don't have to.  So far today we've done the Tylenol/Motrin routine and it has controlled his pain just fine.  She also got Bryson a donut (a special treat around here!) and a movie to watch. Which he watched twice this morning.  She then came back at lunchtime to serve me some caffiene and let Carson, Graham and Maleigha eat lunch with Bryson.  Thank you SO much Kelly for all the help this morning. 

He goes in next week to see the pediatric orthopedic doc to get it casted.  He's already decided he wants a green cast :)  We'll just work our way through the rainbow I guess.  Poor little dude has sustained his fair share of injuries but this has, by far, been the worst.  Thanks to all of you who have been and are continuing to pray for him!  It is very much appreciated.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

jason and I were talking about B at dinner and told the girls we need to pray for him and then later that night I heard Abigail yell at Ash to be careful on the swings so she didn't break her wrist too.

Glad to hear he's doing okay! That's one tough kid.

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Oh no!! I'm sorry Andrea. I'll be praying for your little guy & you too. You do have a great sister(s)! don't you!!?! Hope you can all get some sleep tonight. xoxo

Melissa said...

Yikes! When is it going to end for you? Hard to believe but no broken bones over here yet. Wishing him a fast recovery!

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Yikes is right!
What a way to spend your Thursday night. I'm glad the worst part is *hopefully* over. We were at the Pediatric Orthopedics Friday morning, but thankfully they think it's just tight muscles that need a little PT.

We'll be praying for quick healing for Bryson!

Jen said...

that's awful! we've never had anything broken around here but i can only imagine what it must be like to have to see your child go through all of that. you are a brave mama and you have one brave boy!

Kelly said...

Oh that boy! Never a dull moment with him around eh? :)

Christy said...

So sorry to hear! We are praying for him. I told Ethan and he goes "he already had a cast and it came off mom". LOL - so I explained that he hurt it again and he really did need us to pray for him.

summer said...

OH man! Praying for you guys! Uhg!

Dionna said...

I am so sorry! I know you felt great pain watching him in pain. And how blessed you are to have a sister who lives in the same town as you!